Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart, a Catholic college-preparatory high school for girls of all faiths and backgrounds, is a member of the Network of Sacred Heart Schools in the United States and Canada. The schools of the Sacred Heart Network share five goals which commit them to educate to:
I. A personal and active faith in God.
- Rooted in the love of Jesus Christ, the school promotes a personal relationship with God and fosters the spiritual lives of its members.
- The school seeks to form its students in the attitudes of the heart of Jesus expressed in respect, compassion, forgiveness and generosity.
- The entire school program explores one’s relationship to God, to self, to others, and to all creation.
- Opening themselves to the transforming power of the Spirit of God, members of the school community engage in personal and communal prayer, reflection and action.
- The entire school program affirms that there is meaning and value in life and fosters a sense of hope in the individual and in the school community.
- The school fosters inter-religious acceptance and dialogue by educating to an understanding of and deep respect for the religions of the world.
- The school presents itself to the wider community as a Christ-centered institution and as an expression of the mission of the Society of the Sacred Heart.
II. A deep respect for intellectual values.
- The school develops and implements a curriculum based on the Goals and Criteria, educational research and ongoing evaluation.
- The school provides a rigorous education that incorporates all forms of critical thinking and inspires a life-long love of learning.
- The school program develops aesthetic values and the creative use of the imagination.
- The faculty utilizes a variety of teaching and learning strategies that recognizes the individual needs of the students.
- The school provides ongoing professional development for faculty and staff.
- Members of the school community model and teach ethical and respectful use of technology.
III. A social awareness which impels to action.
- The school educates to a critical consciousness that leads its total community to analyze and reflect on the values of society and to act for justice.
- The school offers all its members opportunities for direct service and advocacy and instills a life-long commitment to service.
- The school is linked in a reciprocal manner with ministries among people who are poor, marginalized and suffering from injustice.
- In our multicultural world, the school prepares and inspires students to be active, informed, and responsible citizens locally, nationally, and globally.
- The school teaches respect for creation and prepares students to be stewards of the earth’s resources.
IV. The building of community as a Christian value.
- The school implements an ongoing plan for educating both adults and students in the heritage and mission of Sacred Heart education.
- The school promotes a safe and welcoming environment in which each person is valued, cared for and respected.
- Adult members of the school model and teach skills needed to build community and practice clear, direct and open communication.
- The school has programs that teach the principles of nonviolence, conflict resolution and peacemaking.
- The school makes deliberate effort to recruit students and employ faculty and staff of diverse races, ethnicities and backgrounds.
- The financial aid program effectively supports socioeconomic diversity.
- The school participates actively in the national and international networks of Sacred Heart schools.
V. Personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom.
- All members of the school community show respect, acceptance and concern for themselves and for others.
- School policies and practices promote self-discipline, responsible decision-making, and accountability.
- Students grow in self-knowledge and develop self-confidence as they learn to deal realistically with their gifts and limitations.
- School programs provide for recognizing, nurturing and exercising leadership in its many forms.
- The school provides opportunities for all members of the community to share their knowledge and gifts with others.
- All members of the school community take personal responsibility for balance in their lives and for their health and well-being.